See more photos from the IB Visual Arts trip to the Magritte Exhibition at LAC.
“Beauty surrounds us, but usually we need to be walking in a garden to know it.”
|Thursday–Friday, October 4–5||Yearbook Portrait Days|
|Monday, October 8||No classes for HS and MS|
|Friday–Saturday, October 12–13||Family Weekend|
|Sunday, October 21||MS/HS Fall Festival Brunch • De Nobili|
|Wednesday, October 24||HS Parent Coffee • 8:30, Casa Fleming|
|Monday–Friday, October 29–November 2||Fall Academic Travel (Note: some trips leave earlier.)|
|Thursday, November 8||Parent Book Club • 19:00, Casa Fleming (register)|
TOEFL Test Tomorrow
A TOEFL test will be offered this Saturday, September 29, in Rezzonico (the building at the back of the parking lot next to Hadsall) at 7:45 AM. All students registered for this test must bring their passports with them. Boarding students need to pick up their passports from Reception in De Nobili before 17:00 today.
Plans for Next Week’s Meeting Blocks
A poet named Van Jordan will visit on Tuesday and will speak to students in grades 10, 11, and 12 during the meeting block. Students in grade 9 will have a class meeting regarding college counseling during this time.
As discussed below, students will have their first Academic Travel meetings on Thursday.
During Advisor meetings on Friday, students and their advisors will discuss the various ways students can reach out for help if they feel that a friend is "at risk."
Students who would like extra help in Science, Math, History, Economics, Business Management, or Modern Languages are advised to consider the following options:
- Science: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 17:15–18:30 in the Newton Physics Lab (top floor of Campo Science Building)
- Math: Tuesdays and Thursday from 16:00–17:00 in Monticello 7
- History, Economics, and Business Management writing and problem-solving: Mondays and Thursdays from 16:00–18:00 in Lanterna 2. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are encouraged. Email Mr. White to make an appointment.
- Modern Languages: Mondays and Thursdays from 16:00–18:00 in the Language Lab (Monticello 5).
A Note About High School Attendance
To inform the High School of an absence (for the full academic day, single classes, or after-school activities), please go to the Student Attendance & Transportation Request area of the Veracross Parent Portal as soon as possible and provide details of the absence. Please be specific, make sure to choose the correct date, and always provide the reason. An absence may only be excused by the School, which reserves the right to determine whether an absence is excused or unexcused.
- Tardy: If the student is late in the morning, provide what time he or she will come to school.
- Partial Absence during the day (some classes missed due to a medical visit, family emergency, document renewal, etc): Provide the time when the student has to be dismissed and the time he or she will return to school—or specify the classes that will be missed in the notes field.
- Early Dismissal: Provide the time the student has to be dismissed and note whether he or she will be back for an after-school activity.
- Whole-Day Absence and Multi-Day Absence: If a student is sick for more than three days, send a note from a doctor explaining the circumstances to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding the attendance records or need assistance in reporting the absence in Veracross, contact email@example.com.
College Counseling News
Upcoming College Representative Visits
- October 1, 15:45: University of St. Andrews
- October 4, 15:45: Boston University
- October 4, 19:00: University of Southern California
- Parents are invited to attend this particular event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- October 9, 15:45: Hult International Business School (London, Boston, San Francisco)
- October 11, 15:45: Claremont McKenna College, Loyola Marymount University, Middlebury College
All visits will be held in the College Counseling Office. Students in grades 10 or 11 who plan to attend any of these events should reserve a space by sending an email to email@example.com.
Please note that all college representative visits are also listed on the All-School Calendar.
Upcoming College Fairs
- October 2, 18:00–20:30: CIS International University Fair, Geneva
- October 3, 18:30–20:30: CIS International University Fair, Zurich
- Use the links above to register for either event. There is no cost to register.
- Learn more about studying at Utrecht University in the Netherlands by participating in its Webinar Day on Saturday, October 13. Pre-registration is required.
PSAT and University Application Workshop on October 10
- All students in grades 9–11 will take the PSAT on Wednesday, October 10.
- Learn more about the PSAT 8/9 (for 9th-grade students) here.
- Learn more about the PSAT for students in grades 10 and 11 here. (Please note that TASIS does not administer the PSAT 10.)
- Postgraduate and grade 12 students will participate in a college/university application workshop on this day.
US University Info Programs in Geneva and Zurich on October 7 and 14
Columbia University, Duke University, Georgetown University, Northwestern University, Princeton University, and Vanderbilt University invite you to attend one of two information sessions held in Switzerland. At these events, admission directors from these six universities will give a brief presentation about their institution's undergraduate programs and provide an overview of admission and financial aid policies and procedures. The admission directors will be available to answer specific questions at the end of the program.
- Zurich event
- Geneva event
Space is limited for both events, so advance registration is highly encouraged. Questions about either event can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Academic Travel
This coming Monday, all High School students will have their Academic Travel destinations posted on Veracross. Destinations are assigned based on students' academic profiles. The first trip meetings are next week during the Thursday assembly time slot. There will be three trip meetings before the students depart. During these meetings, students will receive all necessary information to prepare for their trips.
- Outward Bound: October 27–November 2
- Language Homestays and Azores IB I Environmental Systems: October 28–November 2
- All other trips: October 29–November 2
Academic Travel Dress Code will be a relaxed version of the school uniform, meaning TASIS polos and TASIS-approved pants must be worn but sneakers will be allowed.
Please contact Academic Travel Director Natalie Philpot with any questions.
Register for Family Weekend
Please use the button below to access the Family Weekend registration page and see the full schedule of events for High School parents.
Shuttle Schedule on Friday, October 12
Please note that there will be a few changes to the HS/MS shuttle schedule on Friday, October 12, as class schedules for HS and MS students have been adjusted to accommodate the start of Family Weekend. Please note the following:
- Shuttles for HS and MS students will depart at 14:30.
- HS and MS car riders will depart between 14:30–14:45.
- ES shuttles will depart at their usual time of 16:00.
- ES car riders will depart between 16:00–16:15 (as usual).
Used Uniform Sale and Drop-Off on October 12
The TPA will host a Used Uniform Sale outside Monticello on the afternoon of Friday, October 12, from 15:00–17:00. Parents are also encouraged to donate used uniforms at this time, and anyone interested in volunteering to work at this event should speak to the Used Uniform Coordinator in their child’s division or send an email to email@example.com.
|September 29||MS and Varsity Cross Country • SGIS Championships||ICSZ||10:45|
|September 29||Varsity Boys Volleyball - Invitational||TASIS||9:00|
|October 6||MS and Varsity Cross Country • ISSL Invitational||TASIS||10:00|
|September 25||Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. ASM||Win|
|September 24||Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. ASM||Win|
|September 24||Varsity Boys Volleyball vs. ASM||Win|
|September 24||Junior Varsity Boys Soccer vs. ASM||Loss|
|September 22||Varsity Boys Soccer vs. ASM||Tie|
|September 22||Rugby Invitational at LAZ||4th Place|
|September 21||Varsity Cross Country, Gemmi Pass Run||Recap|
TPA Mountain Trekking on October 9
The TPA welcomes all parents to join them for a Monte Bre-to-Monte Boglia trek on the morning of Tuesday, October 9. From the summit (1,129 meters), the beautiful panorama opens up over the Lugano bay.
The group will meet in the Sant’Abbondio parking lot in Gentilino at 9:30 (or at 10:00 on Monte Bre). The trek from Monte Bre to Monte Boglia takes two hours. Please bring your own lunch and water. We will return to TASIS by 15:00. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance or ask any questions.
Terry Fox Run on October 10
As mentioned last week, High School students and faculty members will participate in the School’s second-annual Terry Fox Run on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 10. Athletic Director Sonny Lim and Varsity Cross Country coaches Greg Birk and Danny Schiff have challenged students to complete as many 500-meter laps as possible on the School’s Grotto Cross Country course in a 45-minute window.
Mr. Lim is looking for six parent volunteers from 13:30–14:30 to hand out bracelets as runners cross the finish line, and parents are also invited to run or walk the course. Please contact Mr. Lim if you are interested in volunteering or participating.
Chess Club Begins on October 10
The Chess Club will kick off its weekly meetings and matches on Wednesday, October 10, from 16:00–17:00. The club is taught by the Ticino Grandmaster of Chess. Players of all levels are invited to participate.